Home Remedies & Natural Treatment For Hernia Pain..How To Treat Hernias Without Surgery
A hernia refers to a health condition where part of an internal organ in the body protrudes through weak or ruptured muscle tissues. This protrusion may be accompanied can lead to other health conditions if left untreated. This is because of the risk of cutting off blood supply due to pressure on blood vessels.
There are four major types of hernias which are femoral hernias, umbilical hernia, incisional hernia, and inguinal hernia. This classification is based on the body part where the hernia occurs. The most common hernias occur in the abdominal regional ? inguinal hernias.
?Causes of hernia
Hernia is a common problem among people who are involved in hard physical work. It is referred to as a lifestyle disease due to the fact that an unhealthy lifestyle can lead to the development of a hernia. One type of hernia, the umbilical hernia usually occurs at birth and may go on its own. However, other hernias can happen due to other reasons, some of which include:
- Lifting heavy objects
- Genetic factor
- Sitting or standing for long hours regularly.
- Persistent coughing
Common symptoms of hernias
As already stated, pain in the affected region is usually associated with hernia. Other common symptoms are muscular atrophy, subsequent numbness after the pain,
Home remedies for hernia
There are many methods of treating hernia. There are pharmacological medications for the condition as well as the ultimate option of surgery. However, before trying any of these methods, you need to look inwards as there are many home solutions that can serve as a first aid for hernia.
The following are some of the home remedies for hernia.
- Simple exercises. Exercising has many health benefits including helping you to get a sound sleep. Simple exercises like press-ups and pull-ups will help to reduce pressure on the organs. Pull-up workouts are great at keeping the body in shape. This works by stretching the spine so as to reduce pressure on the nerves, and ultimately the hernia.
- Do not exercise on a full stomach. While exercising is good, doing it wrong or at the wrong time can be unhealthy. After eating, you should relax for some time before going out for any physical workout.
- Wear only loose clothing. Tight clothing can add more pressure on the already overexerted organs. Instead, you should wear loose clothing to reduce the risk of overexertion.
- Leafy vegetables. Green vegetables such as broccoli and asparagus are rich in nutrients that help in alleviating the symptoms associated with hernia.
- Fresh fruits. Including fresh fruits such as watermelon and berries in your diet can help to improve the symptoms of hernia.
- Fresh milk. Aging can be a cause of hernia due to the degeneration of bone and muscle tissues ? which is also a symptom known as muscular atrophy. Consuming fresh milk can address this condition. This is because milk has a high calcium content that is essential for strong joints and bones.
- Castor seed oil. Castor seed oil contains anti-inflammatory substances that help in relieving the accompanying pain. The oil should be applied topically to the affected area and massage.
- Olive oil. Like castor seed oil, olive oil is a home treatment for hernias. The oil should be applied directly to the affected area to reduce pain and swelling.
- Don?t apply too much pressure or heat to the affected region. While massaging an affected area, you should do so with caution so as not to cause harm to the organs.
- Alter your sleeping position. Staying stationary through the night can worsen the hernia. Thus, adjusting your sleeping position will help to remedy this problem.
- Stop smoking. Smoking increases the production of digestive acids which is not good for hernia patients. Cutting down on cigarettes or quitting smoking completely is a natural way of reducing hernia.
- Do away with alcohol. Just like smoking, alcohol intake can inhibit the hernia healing process. Staying away from alcohol is a good health choice as it will do more good than harm to the body.
Hernia treatment in Ayurveda
In Ayurvedic Medicine, a hernia is called “Antra Vriddhi” and refers to a condition where an internal body organ bulges out from its normal position.
The Ayurvedic method of treating hernia involves proper dieting. The following methods can be employed for treating hernias in Ayurveda.
- Instead of taking three square meals, you should take in smaller meals frequently throughout the day.
- You should eat slowly to aid proper digestion and reduce pain.
- Ensure that your food is not overcooked and do not eat raw food.
- Include whole grains and nuts in your diet.
- After eating, do not go to sleep immediately; instead, go for a walk.
- During eating, it is advised that you do not drink water. Rather drink water one hour before and after eating so as to reduce the risk of heartburn.
- You should drink lots of water and other healthy fluids.
Herbs for hernia
It is highly recommended that you consult a doctor if you feel intense pain due to a hernia; however, less severe hernias can be treated by using herbs. The following are some common herbs that can be used in treating the condition.
- Ginger root has calming properties that help in relieving stress and pain. The root can be eaten raw after peeling or by drinking ginger juice or tea. Besides, the stomach benefits from ginger as it helps to protect the stomach from acid reflux.
- Aloe vera. Aloe vera helps in the prevention and treatment of hernia. The herb has anti-inflammatory compounds that give it its soothing and analgesic properties. Aloe vera can be consumed for its juice.
- Eating bananas is a healthy way of treating the associated symptoms of a hernia. The fruit is rich in vitamins and minerals that help to prevent acidity and heartburn.
- Fennel seeds. Fennel seeds can be used in the treatment of an inguinal hernia which is caused by cold. Moreover, the seeds have a laxative effect and are helpful for the treatment of bloating.
- Licorice tea can be prepared by boiling licorice root in water and filtering. This tea can help to relieve the associated pains due to its analgesic properties. Drinking licorice tea is a natural way of promoting the healing process.
- Black pepper. Black pepper powder is a natural medicine for hernia due to its anti-inflammatory properties. It also helps in reducing acid reflux in the stomach which may aggravate the condition.
- The root of the marshmallow plant helps to stimulate digestion by reducing the production of stomach acids. This leads to the reduction of hernia-associated abdominal pain.
- Shepherds Purse. This herbal plant aids in the reduction of pain and inflammation. Shepherds purse extract can be applied topically to the affected area or ingested as a supplement.
- This is actually a supplement that is made by mixing herbs that include hawthorn, fennel, litchi seeds, and citrus seeds. Taking hawthornia supplement helps to tighten the weakened muscles to protect the protruding organ.
- Green tea. Green tea is a common herbal medicine that finds use in the treatment of various health conditions. The adaptogenic nature of the herb makes it suitable for treating hernias.
- Based on studies, tomatoes are known to be a source of essential vitamins and minerals. These important body nutrients help in reducing the aging process.
Hernia treatment without surgery
Hernias can be treated without surgery. The following methods can be employed in remedying this condition.
- Healthy diet. Your diet has a lot of effect on your overall health. Eating a healthy meal every day will help to put the digestive system back to normal which will contribute to the healing process of the hernia. You should avoid foods with too much spice and sour taste which are difficult to digest and can inhibit the treatment.
- Avoid heavy meals. Instead of eating large meals, you should go for smaller ones by eating them frequently through the day. Consuming large meals can exert more pressure on the stomach which can make the hernia worse.
- Reducing strenuous physical activity. Lifting heavy weights and doing strenuous work are some of the major causes of hernias. Reducing your involvement in arduous physical activities and exercises will help to promote the healing process as well as in preventing the occurrence.
- Using medication. Before signing up to go under the knife, you should ask your doctor for drug prescription that can be used for the treatment of hernia. Examples of pharmacological medications for treating hernia are Hernica and Acidim.
- Lose weight. Overweight persons also have the risk of getting hernias as well as hindering the treatment. The pressure of the weight affects the spine and the commonly affected organs like the stomach. Reducing your body weight will reduce this pressure, thereby, helping the hernia.
- Use of ice packs. To reduce the pain and swelling of hernias, you can apply an ice pack topically to the area affected.
These articles should address the following
how to stop hernia pain
home remedies for inguinal hernia
how to treat inguinal hernia without surgery
how to heal an umbilical hernia without surgery
inguinal hernia self healing
temporary hernia relief
essential oils for inguinal hernia
If you have any question, please feel free to drop a comment below